Wednesday, 16 September 2020

Entrance slip #1 - Becoming a Reflective Teacher

 

=




As an upcoming teacher candidate, this article speaks to me on many levels. I believe that the article brings up extremely valuable and constructive points that may help guide a teacher candidate into becoming more well-rounded through reflection. Being a reflective teacher is more than re-evaluation and changing existing norms, it is about re-invention, critical thinking, and critical inquiry of the teaching self. What I find most interesting about the article is how I relate it back to previous math teachers I had growing up; many had seemed set in their ways of teaching, and had a yearly routine of how they expected the class to go. There was almost an air of complacency that guided them from September to June, which made the classes less engaging and almost boring. I remember when I first joined the education program, I thought to myself “I won’t be like that, I’ll be that fun math teacher that’ll inspire and excite the children”. After reading the article though I understand how some teachers may get caught up in their routine and not see the need for self reflection or reinvention. And although I understand where they come from or how they ended up that way, I hope that I don’t fall into that trap; every class, cohort, and student is unique and learns in their own way, as a teacher I hope that I can reflect on my ways to suit what the students need. In another class (I believe EPSE 308) we were asked “in 1 word, what kinds of teacher do you want to be?” I chose ‘understanding’. I like to believe that an understanding teacher encapsulates some of the ideas of a reflective teacher as well – respectful, open-minded, and wholehearted. An understanding teacher not only understands the subject material, but their students as learners and people. I also think with the ever-changing landscape of teaching, reflection is extremely key and will only help a teacher moving forward. The article mentions how “schools and society are constantly changing”, an idea that is prevalent today in many instances. If we consider how even something like social media has affected students and society, we can see that if we as teachers are not in touch with the current time, we may fall behind. Further, with the current state of the world going through a pandemic, and classes being online, there is an adjustment period where teachers must reflect and reinvent themselves to fit societal needs.

This article helps me develop my ideas about inquiry and critical thinking as to me, the entire article is about how we should always be critical thinkers and inquiring ourselves. Self reflection is not an easy task, it asks us as individuals to find potential flaws in ourselves and the way we may conduct ourselves in the classroom. We have to inquire beyond our surface and find what needs to change, inquire about how we can develop ourselves and continue to be life-long learners.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Tyler! Your comments about being an understanding teacher are most relevant. We will be working with a self-test called the Teaching Perspectives Inventory, and I'll be interested in seeing how this connects with your approach.

    ReplyDelete

Symbolic Worlds

  Figured and Symbolic Worlds are all about what we interpret. The world, just like us, are constantly changing, and there are so many aspec...