I believe that mathematical terminology is an extremely important and useful tool that we as teachers will be using in the classroom. Terms that arithmetic entail like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division are inevitable to use in the classroom, as they often will be used to help students make sense of complex problems. There will also be times in the classroom where more complex terminology will be key. For example, if a test or assignment question said "using Pythagoreans Theorem, find the length of the hypotenuse" the student should understand what the Pythagorean Theorem is, and what the hypotenuse is...if they don't understand the terminology, the question becomes impossible to do. However, we also have an obligation to break down terminology for the students, in case they run into a question without those terms. For example, if a test said "find the length of the longest side of a given right triangle", if we have taught the mathematical terminology correctly, the students should be able to bridge their knowledge relationally and understand the question!In terms of Indigenizing my classroom, I believe it starts from a place of acknowledgement, reflection, and understanding. I think having conversations about and acknowledging the Eurocentric views of our educational system, as well as how indigenous members have been treated unfairly by the education system are important conversations to have. The conversations may make students feel uncomfortable, but it is important to approach the conversation with respect, and an open mind. I want to have an environment in my classroom where everyone feels safe and comfortable.
In response to Dr. Robin Wall Kimmerer's idea of animacy to scientific language, I find it difficult and almost more confusing when applying to teaching. I see scientific and mathematical language as a very distinct language, where definitions can easily be applied; have been carefully crafted; and are meant such that students can understand some of the most complex terminology. I believe for these reasons, scientific language is already Introducing animacy is interesting, especially in the scientific, biological side of science...but I see its importance (as a learning tool) in more of a way of connection and understanding. Using animacy with scientific language could help students become more empathetic and develop a relational understanding with the scientific definition of the word, it provides a interconnectedness to their larger communities and how we are part of the Earth. It could also open avenues to describe indescribable feelings, like why some people love the sound of the rain, or the wind going through trees; having animacy language can explain such experiences and open up a new way to give words to abstract feelings.
These are good starting points, Tyler! However, I still don't really know what your ideas are about Wall Kimmerer's discussion of animistic and scientific ways of talking about living beings and the natural world. Could you please add another paragraph to discuss this?
ReplyDelete