I hope that my students are able to leave my class as individuals who can critically think and problem solve, and are intrinsically motivated to make a positive difference in their own communities. I've always told my students and friends that grades are just numbers, and we shouldn't define ourselves through them; there will be hundreds of tests we write in our lifetimes, don't let one mark or grade define who you can become. There is always room for growth and I hope that my students can see the value of a grade as motivation to better themselves. As a society, I hope we can move beyond grades, as it seems to add extraneous pressures and unneeded competition between peers. If our goal is to have students work together harmoniously to achieve more, we shouldn't have grades pitting them against each other and having them compete within the classroom. Learning should be about growth, and understanding, not making sure you're doing better than the person next to you. Hopefully as we move forward, we're able to progress to a time/place where feedback and instruction is valued over grades and percentages; students can fail or make mistakes without being punished or having their futures jeopardized.
No comments:
Post a Comment